Col. Jennie R. Johnson is the Commander of the 403rd Wing, Air Force Reserve Command, Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. As 403rd Wing Commander, she leads over 1,600 Reserve and civilian professionals in the only Air Force Reserve C-130J unit equipped wing. The wing’s mission is to train, equip and employ airlift forces in support of the nation's interests. This includes the only weather reconnaissance mission in the Department of Defense as well as tactical airlift and airdrop, aeromedical evacuation and agile combat support.
Colonel Johnson entered the Air Force through the Direct Appointment Program in September 1994. After an assignment as an assistant staff judge advocate, she attended Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training to become a C-130 navigator. She entered the United States Air Force Reserve in 2003 after nine years on active duty. Since then, the colonel has held leadership positions at the squadron, group, and wing levels and had staff experience at the Numbered Air Force and Air Staff levels. In her civilian capacity, she has served corporate clients for over 12 years at one of the four largest professional services networks in the world.
Prior to her current assignment, the colonel was Chief of Staff, 22nd Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Georgia.
1991 Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
1994 Juris Doctor, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va.
1994 Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Masters of Law in Taxation, University of Denver, Denver, Colo.
2006 Staff Judge Advocate Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Ft. Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
2014 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. December 1994 - August 1996, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
2. August 1996 - February 1997, Student, VT-4 Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
3. February 1997 - June 1998, Student, 562th Fighter Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. June 1998 - June 2001, C-130 Instructor Navigator/Flight Commander, 2nd AS, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. June 2001 - September 2003, Chief, Joint Exercise Control/C-130 Instructor Navigator, USAF Mobility Weapons School, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. September 2003 - January 2005, C-130 Navigator, 731st AS, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. January 2005 - January 2006, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 302nd AW, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. January 2006 - May 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, 302nd AW, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. May 2008 - August 2010, Chief, Operations Plans, 302nd AW, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. August 2010 - May 2012, Commander, 302nd OSS, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. May 2012 - September 2013, Deputy Commander, 22nd AF Detachment 1, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
12. October 2013 - April 2015, Vice Commander, 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (November 2013-February 2014, Commander, 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala.)
13. April 2015 - November 2015, Chief, Total Force Enterprise Division and Chief of Staff, Total Force Continuum Directorate of Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. November 2015 – May 2017, Chief of Staff, 22nd Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Dobbins Air Reserve
15. May 2017 – Present, Wing Commander, 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
Rating: Command navigator
Flight Hours: More than 1,500
Aircraft Flown: C-130E, C-130H2, and C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Sep. 28, 1994
Captain Mar. 28, 1995
Major Feb. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Colonel May 24, 2012
(Current as of May 2017)